Every so it's time to climb up on the soap box and start shouting.  Now is
such a time.

Until recently we in the Parkinson's community had a reason to complain that
we were being ignored by the general public.  No one knew about PD.  Not
anymore.

Times have changed.  Since early 1995 there has been a wave of coverage in
the print media and television press about new surgeries (pallidotomy, fetal
tissue transplant, electronic brain stimulation) and new drugs (neurotrophic
factors, anti-depressants, L-dopa facilitators).  Attorney General Janet Reno
bravely announced that she has PD.  Muhammad Ali has actively placed himself
in the public eye.  His appearance at the Olympics did more for PD awareness
than millions of dollars in PR spending.

A majority of United States representatives feel strongly enough about PD
research that they have been willing to co-sponsor a hitherto obscure piece
of legislation called the Morris K. Udall Bill.  Last year at this time you
could count the co-sponsors on your fingers and toes.

Monday night Christopher Reeve addressed the Democratic Party's national
convention during prime-time televised coverage.  He mentioned Parkinson's
more than once, along with other central nervous system disorders, in an
emotional appeal for greater government spending on research.

We have been pitched a softball right over the plate.  It is time to hit that
ball out of the park.  But where is the organized public relations effort to
take advantage of this incredible opportunity?  I don't see it.  Do you?

We need a strong, well-financed, well-coordinated effort by our national
Parkinson's organizations to appeal to the greater American "family" for
significantly more private and public funding for PD research.  Now is our
chance!

Certainly September 1996 should be focused on passage of the Udall Bill.  The
bill provides the greatest single opportunity to knock-out PD in our
lifetimes.  We are making phone calls, sending our postcards and meeting with
our representatives.  Let's get even more support from our national
organizations at this unique crossroads.

Given the current unprecedented public awareness of the impact of Parkinson's
disease in the U.S., the three largest PD groups, the National Parkinson
Foundation, American Parkinson's Disease Association, and the Parkinson's
Disease Foundation (along with other groups who wish to participate) should
take immediate action to coordinate their public relations efforts to
increase awareness and appeal for more research funding.  They have already
shown that they can work together to gain support for the Udall Bill.  Now
let's capitalize on the momentum of public opinion and get our message
across.

-Ken Aidekman

P.S. We can do our part by turning out in large numbers at the Parkinson's
Unity Walk in New York City and at other related events planned for September
in Washington, D.C., across Canada and throughout the continent of Europe.

Fund the Research.
Find the Cure.