Hi James Rapp
Your message <[log in to unmask]> :
> Does anyone have a good solution or help for the depression that goes
> with PD.  I am in need of some good advice.  The medications that I have
> taken for depression just isn't cutting it.  I would be interested in
> hearing from other that have experienced this problem.   Thanks and I
> will be anxious to hear from you.

It's not exactly a scientific suggestion, but I always feel that when I am
depressed, there are two or three main factors:

1. Tiredness - This is certainly so in my case, and as I sleep badly at
night, I plan for at least one daytime sleep, usually with a self-hypnosis
relaxation tape for half an hour.

2. Low self-image - We aren't used to the idea that we are not going to get
better: therefore it must be something we're not doing right. Therefore it
must be all our fault. Therefore ... and there we have the makings of a
deepening depression all on it's own.
My solution to this one is to tackle a job that I KNOW I can do. Success is
VITAL, as it increases our self-esteem.
Perhaps you could take up something totally different, a new (MLM?)
business, a hobby, a further education class etc. and set yourself
mini-targets so that you can keep congratulating yourself on how
clever/successful/wonderful you are :-)

3. Failure to do what is expected of you - BY YOURSELF IN PARTICULAR.
Keep reminding yourself that you ARE a PWP, and something from outside
caused it, and you WILL make the best of it. Incidentally, one of my most
successful ploys has been to get heavily involved in helping other, younger
and newer sufferers, thus giving them some support, and giving ME a warm
glow (even smug self-satisfaction!)  :-)))

NEVER say anything negative about yourself - it's not me, it's the others!
Well, you can, but make a joke of it: I have two stock phrases -
When asked how I am, I say "Fighting fit, thankyou" and often add "That's
fighting for breath and fit to drop" and DON'T forget to GRIN!
- or I reply "Not bad for an old cripple" when I'm on a good day, which
makes some people look shocked, but almost always they say something
re-inforcing, like "you're not old, and certainly not a cripple" which is
the required effect.

Good luck.
--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)