H Kim Russell,

In message <[log in to unmask]>
 writes:

> I'm interested in the research into perception & PD.  What are the ideas
> about how the perceptual changes affect movement?

I confess I don't exactly know! John Harris is doing a series of
experiments, and I often feel obliged to say "Well, I KNOW that: EVERY
Parkinsonian knows it!". Obviously he has to have rigorously tested
theories for any conclusions he may draw.

> ...  If the horiz. stripes of tape help ...

Actually the horizontal bars make it more DIFFICULT to judge the width
of the gap. I was apparently trying to put myself through (virtual) gaps
that were about 7cm narrower than my shoulder width!

> ...then there must be a connection.  Especially since the same
> thing works for helping with movement initiation.

Well, yes, that is what John is working on: PWPs certainly do have a
modified perception, but how it manifests itself, or how we can
capitalise on the knowledge, you'll have to write to Prof. John Harris
about, at Reading Uni..

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)