> In essence, I urgently need to know what can be done to revitalize my
> Mom's swallowing-capability & gag-reflex, to avert potential aspirations
> (which have already, says the doctor, caused life-threatening problems).
> -- SJS

Sounds like you need to consider a PEG tube for your mom.  It is possible
that her gag-reflex could be re-established at a later date, but right
now she needs the nutrition she will not be able to receive if she has to
swallow.  Furthermore, she will remain at high risk for aspiration
pneumonia, which (as you know) is life threatening, if she continues to
try to swallow food with a diminished gag-reflex.

PEG tubes can always be removed.  If, after her meds are regulated, she
is capable of swallowing, she could eat normally with the tube still in
place.  Or, she could receive supplemental feeding in addition to eating
to boost her lost reserve.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann