At 07:03 PM 8/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi my name is Paul Horscroft from Berkshire in the UK.
>

>My father  was diagnosed in Late 1989 at the age of 52. He was a
>workaholic and a keen keep fitter who had entered and completed a number of
marathons
>including the London until a knee injury and PD diagnosis put an end to it.
>
>My father has never been one to take medicine unless abosolutly neccessary and
>of course PD makes this nessesary. My father has taken himself of
>Selegiline ("Elderpril")and now only takes 2 * 200mg of Careldopa CR
(Sinamet controled
>release) which he finds gives him a reasonably normal active existance.
>
>Since I have been giving him access to the list via my ISP (He wont buy
himself a computer but I'm working on that) he has learn't a lot and would
like me to say the following on his behalf:-

>"Thank you all for the information I have already received and I hope to
contribute in
>the future (He'd better buy that computer <Grin>) but for now, I am
concerned about
>the reports on Selegiline and its interaction with other drugs including
caffine and a
>British report of a higher rate of mortality with those people on
Selagiline + Levodopa
>than those on Levodopa alone, I have now taken myself off Selegiline
because of this
>report and I do not feal any worse for it.
>
>Why do the powers that be, still prescribe this drug???
>
>I have also found reports about the lower response of medications and
>high protein diets
>I have seen messages about a low protein diet, does anyone know where
>I can get this information so that I can give it a try ??????
>
>This is all I wish to say at the moment, but I thank you all for the
help/advise I have already received and I am sure will receive in the future.

>Leslie Horscroft "

>Thanking you on my fathers behalf
>
>Paul Horscroft

Dear Paul and/or Leslie,
  The Eldepryl/Selegiline/Jumex flap is not over. The study which found the
increased mortality was not a fully controlled study, but it was not merely
anecdotal either. I still take Eldepryl because I find that it improves my
motor coordination with less L-dopa. If it  did not improve my quality of
life, I too would discontinue. I personally doubt the increased mortality
with Eldepryl but would not recommend it to anyone who does not feel that it
helps NOW.
The low protein diet is not really low protein.. It is a protein shift in
which protein intake is limited during times one wants to be active. The
body needs protein. Protein intake is increased when activity is less
important.  Many patients want to have a protein intake when they expect to
be active to slow down dyskinesias which can result from the sudden pulsing
of the system with a fresh ruh of l-dopa/Sinemet. If it works, use it. If it
doesn't, don't.

Will in Salisbury, Maryland USA
WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter
63  Dx1991 Symptoms 1971