>We are planning to sell and move.  We are considering a factory-built or
>modular house.
>
>What things should we consider?  Such as wide doorways, few doorways, no
>narrow hall, shower, NO STEPS, etc.
>
>Also, what makes things like showers usable for an advanced parkie [with
>dementia].  We are currently having problems, sometimes, getting him onto
>the shower chair in the tub.
>
>Miriam cg for Dale 73, dx  1988.
>Miriam L. Denham
>
>Miriam,
        We have lived in a manufactured home for eleven years.  We were
fortunate enough to be in the same city as the factory and even though Gwen
was not ill at that time, found the company quite willing to build in the
changes that we required.  If at all possible, I would recommend that you
deal w3ith the builder of the home rather than a seller.  They will meet
with you and discuss special modifications to their standard floor plans.
(These changes DO add to the cost so make sure your quoted price is acceptable.)
        As for stepless showers, I hve seen some "Handicapped Shower Units"
on display at Builders Square here.  Any large home supply store should be
able to help.  Perhaps you could choose a unit that suits your needs and
request the home manufacturer to include it in the home when it is built.

                                        Hope this helps!

                                        Don Summers    [log in to unmask]
                                        (past Colo. resident)