Hugh,

I've been taking pramipexole for three years as part of a drug trial
program at Washington University in St. Louis.  My neurologist, who is
overseeing the study, thought I would be a good candidate because I was
falling a lot and breaking bones.  It really has helped with my balance;
I've only had one sprained ankle since I've been taking it.

Basically, it is a helper drug - a dopamine agonist like permax and
parlodel.  It gives me a boost when I take it, but seems to wear off by
the next dose of sinemet. Frankly, I didn't think it was doing much for
me until one day I got busy and clean forgot to take it.  I woke up
during the night with a terrible panic attack - heart pounding,and
trembling from head to foot, obviously undermedicated.  It was only then
that I realized I had missed a whole day's dosage.  I wasn't sure what to
do, but decided to take a dose then and there, and it did make a difference.
Besides balance, it also seems to help my handwriting; I've noticed a
positive improvement in that area.  Sometimes when I take it after a dose
of sinemet I experience dyskinesia from being overmedicated.\

I believe it's going to be marketed next year.  From what I hear, though,
tolcapone sounds like an even more effective drug.

Hope this helps.

Pat Schark

  pine`