To: Multiple recipients of list CASLL
From: CASLL/Inkshed on Thu, Sep 12, 1996 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: U.S. politics.

At  3:45 PM 9/12/96 -0400, Andrea A. Lunsford wrote:
>Unless I misread, Jack ACTUALLY said "Look your porches," obviously some old
>Pennsylvania Dutch invocation.....Andrea

Precisely correct, Andrea!! Many people would have spelled it "lock your
porches," but I was being sensitive to local usages of marginal groups.
Thanks for the clarification--it sometimes takes someone from the USA to
clear these things up, doesn't it?

Selzer

Jack Selzer, Associate Professor of English
Department of English
Penn State University
University Park, PA  16802
Phone:  814-865-0251