CASLLrs -- Yes, I for one would be glad to see a central repository
for reports on writing matters -- having bolstered my own struggle
against testing by reading Anthony's excellent (very competent!)
piece against tests. Jim Bell's study, once it comes out, will be a welcome
addition. (Jim, I'll get back to you on good published pieces on revision
when I can get my memory working again and find my files....)  Like
Marcy, I'd suggest a central set of links -- the CASLL site at York
is already a good start, soon to include Henry Hubert's recent study
of writing centres across Canada.

The post-CCCC hallway discussion about getting writing centre people
together was repeated in an interesting participatory session on the
last day of the CATTW meeting at the Learneds. So far it has only
taken the form of talk--some good individual contacts and more general
information about what's happening in writing centres (lots!).

What should be the next step?  We already have two organizations
for writing people. Shall we just keep hijacking conventions and
flooding newsletters with pieces on writing centres? (HINT, HINT: such
pieces are always welcome for the Inkshed newsletter.  Send them to
Mary-Louise Craven or me.)  I hope we can join together for some
research projects (Jim's is an obvious start).

Here's something else we might accomplish here and now online. All
writing centres are always facing calls to justify themselves.  We've
had previous CASLL discussions on this.  What are the best answers to
such calls?

My own most useful is that writing centres make faculty jobs easier by
helping teach writing outside the classroom.  But that one has the
disadvantage of seeming to exempt faculty members from ALL
responsibility for supporting writing.  Is there a better way of
putting it?

Margaret Procter,
University of Toronto.