The recent notes on Writing Centres are certainly welcome.  This note
adresses three concerns:
1.  Doug Brent's call for suggestions re funding;
2.  Margaret Procter's support of Anthony Pare's concern about
        further networking (ignoring Anthony's many other concerns-or
        concerns _about_ Pare's politics, pictures, or personal
        persecution)
3.  Updating the UCC Writing Centre Survey.

1.  Funding
At the risk of raising the wrath of purists that would separate the classroom
from the martketplace, at UCC we're searching for consulting contracts
that could help support staffing for the Writing Centre.  We'll let you
know how this works out.  At the moment, we've been supported by a
budget line in International Education.  The folks in International Ed
here see a Writing Centre as crucial for the success of their students,
and the International Ed program now advertises the presence of the Writing
Centre in its foreign recruiting.

2.  Networking
Margaret Procter mentioned the interest of CATTW in Writing Centres, an
interest reflected in last spring's Learneds.  Do Writing Centre folk
raise the same questions on both listservs, or is there a better way?

3.  The results of the UCC National Survey of Writing Centres in Canada
are now available on the UCC net at
        <http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/ae/WRTGCNTR/Survey.htm>
Mary-Louise Craven will also be setting up a link on the CASLL home page.

If your institution does not appear on our list (the 33 responding
institutions are listed near the end of the report), we would appreciate
your response.  We'd like to see the survey as complete as possible.

If you would like a separate questionnaire e-mailed or smailed, please
send me a note.

If your institution was in any way misrepresented in the survey, please
send us corrections.  Further, if you desire information that does not
appear on the survey, send a note as well.  We could incorporate new
questions into the next version of the survey, which might be more easily
conducted than this one, since we now have a base from which to work.

Henry Hubert

Henry A. Hubert                                 | [log in to unmask]
Department of English and Modern Languages      .
University College of the Cariboo               | Ph.  604-828-5236
P.O. Box 3010                                   . FAX  604-371-5697
Kamloops, B. C.                                 |
V2C 5N3                                         .