FYI
--Eric

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 17:49:09 -0400
From: Tari Fanderclai <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list RHETNT-L <[log in to unmask]>

            Please come to Netoric's Tuesday Cafe Discussion
                                   for
                            September 10, 1996
                              8:00 p.m. EDT
                 in Netoric's Tuesday Cafe on MediaMOO

                                 Topic:

                  Teaching Writing in the Digital Age:
                  What Makes Teaching Good These Days?

                               To join us:
         Telnet to MediaMOO at purple-crayon.media.mit.edu 8888
         connect guest OR connect your character if you have one
                             @go Tuesday
                If you're new to Netoric and/or MOOing,
         Netoric's Information and MOOhelpsheet is available from
                         Netoric's Home Page:
          http://www.cs.bsu.edu/homepages/siering/netoric.html
          Netoric's home page also has logs of Netoric events!

      This week's cafe topic comes to us from Jeff Galin, who'll be
      on hand at the cafe as this week's facilitator.  Recently at
      the cafe and on several listservs, we've been discussing
      issues like grading, collaboration, motivating students,
      motivating teachers, the student-centered classroom, and so on,
      none of which are new topics for writing teachers (or any kind
      of teachers), but all of which need constant re-examination as
      we introduce more and more computer technology into our
      classes, broadening our possibilities and extending the
      territory into which a writing class can venture.  Jeff Galin
      proposes that a useful way to frame these discussions might
      be to ask ourselves, "In this digital age, what makes
      teaching good?  This is of course a very broad question, and
      we'll probably spend several weeks talking about the issues it
      generates.  This week we'd like to begin that discussion with
      the following list of "sub-questions" that Jeff has provided:

        What current issues interest you that you think might also interest
        your students?  Why should students do all the choosing?  If a
        teacher is not interested in the topics or approaches students take
        to issues, how effective can she be in pushing students to reach
        their potentials?  Certainly she can help them achieve some level
        of success, but that infectious enthusiasm we talked about in
        "liking" usually only exists when teachers and students are mutally
        invested in classwork.  So if we are going to talk about what makes
        for good teaching and learning, why not start where students and
        teachers are both excited by what is being discussed.  How do we
        get there? How many diffent ways can we get there?  How realistic
        are we being when we work with our students to figure out these
        . . . uhhhh . . . learning places?  And what do some of these
        learning places look like?

      See you at the Cafe!

                      *  *  *  N E T O R I C  *  *  *
           Tuesday Cafe -- Electronic Conferences -- CMC Workshops
      | Tari Fanderclai                 |  Greg Siering               |
      | Boston, MA                      |  Ball State University      |
      | [log in to unmask]               |  [log in to unmask]  |