Almost related to the topic at hand...

I've always wondered about Giotto's fresco in the Arena Chapel
depicting the Annunciation to Anna concerning the birth of Mary.
The angel appears to Anna in a little doll's house setting, and
sitting outside the door is a spinning servant, with head clearly
cocked to overhear what is going on.  The Golden Legend versions
I've looked at say nothing about a servant, who may simply be part
of Giotto's staffage.  But the depiction has always struck me as
very stage-y, and I wonder if there are dramatizations that might
have inspired this "eavesdropping" moment?

Amelia Carr
Allegheny College