Dear Mr Godshalk:
        Until Prof. Berry's study comes out, the classic treatment
remains, I believe, Leslie Hotson, _The Commonwealth and Restoration
Stage_ (Cambridge, Mass., 1928; new (revised?) edn NY, 1962).  The only
legal basis for suppressing plays was a resolution of the Long Parliament
in 1642 'that stage plays be forborne for this time', which after a few
years was increasingly regarded as obsolete, and which lost any validity
it ever had when Cromwell dissolved that parliament.  I remember coming
across a letter of a royalist (John Evelyn?) to Edward Hyde, Lord
Clarendon at the court of the exiled king in Paris, I think in 1653, that
Cromwell's new parliament was considering a bill 'to put down stage plays'
(_Calendar of State Papers Domestic_, I think).  This surely implies there
were plays to put down, and Hotson provided evidence that the players at
the Red Bull went on playing in a more or less clandestine fashion (with
sporadic 'raids' by Cromwell's Ironsides) all through the Protectorate.  I
hope that's helpful.

WILLIAM COOKE