Apologies to those of you who have already seen this call for papers,
forwarded to reed-l around this time last month.  I recently attended a
conference at which it came to my attention that some subscribers to the
list had not received this posting, so here it is again.  I would very
much appreciate it if  members of reed-l could forward this announcement
to other newsgroups to which they subscribe, as well as their own
institutions' bulletin boards.

Regards

Andrew Spong

                   IN SHAKESPEARE'S SHADOW
                   'MINOR' DRAMA, 1590-1610

                  A CONFERENCE TO BE HELD AT
                THE UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE

                *****   CALL FOR PAPERS   *****

'In Shakespeare's Shadow' will bring together research on the drama of
1590-1610 that is currently under-represented in literary study.  The aim
of the conference is to re-evaluate the drama of this period in its own
right, and to question the canonical authority that Shakespeare commands
to the detriment of all but a handful of his peers.

Proposal for papers (20 mins. in length) are invited on a range of
topics, including individual authors, canonical politics, intertextuality
and the production of meaning, authorial authority, drama as cultural
commodity, spectatorship and class, historicism vs. formalism, the
use-value of drama, theatre as national genre, drama as social labour,
difference dramatised, alternative heroes, disregarding/discarding
Shakespeare.

Theoretical and interdisciplinary work is especially welcome.

Proposals of no more than 300 words in length (deadline 31 January 1997)
and/or requests for further information should be sent to us at the
following address:

                Andy Spong and Andrew Stott
                Centre for Renaissance Studies
                University of Hertfordshire