I am hereby sending you a conference announcement. I would much appreciate
it if you could bring this to the attention of our members. Thank you.
Sincerely, Ton Hoenselaars.

C O N F E R E N C E

Facing History. Recent developments in the study of the
relationships between literature and history.

Since the beginning of the 1980s we have been witnessing the
steady rise of a number of new methods of historico-contextualist
criticism. One of these is the new historicism, which originated in
the work of a number of Anglo-American Renaissance-scholars and
which since has found its way into the fields of Medieval
Literature, Romanticism, Victorian studies and the study of
20th-century literature.
In the wake of post-structuralist theories of representation, new
historicists have found it difficult to hold on to traditional
conceptions of the relationship between literature and history and
have stressed the need to find new theoretical models that would
highlight the dynamic, mutual dependency of text and context. One
of these models is to be found in the work of the leading new
historicist Stephen Greenblatt. In his work on Shakespeare he
suggested that we understand the historical embeddedness of
texts in terms of what he called "the circulation of social energy."
This enables us to conceive of literary texts as both determined by
and constitutive of historical reality.
It is the purpose of this conference to introduce the work of such
renowned critics as Stephen Greenblatt (University of
Berkeley/California, USA) and Catherine Belsey (University of
Cardiff, Wales) - both key-note speakers at our meeting - in the
Belgian and Dutch academies. Also, the conference aims at
confronting in a critical manner the new reading-method which
these critics proposed with a number of urgent questions. Some of
these will no doubt concern what our third key-note speaker, Frank
Ankersmit (University of Groningen, the Netherlands), has termed
"the chiastic relationship of literature and history." Other speakers
include cultural and literary theorists, philosophers, Shakespeareans
and historians, who will address equally important questions: what,
if any, are the advantages of 'facing history' for the literary critic?;
how should history be faced?; what, exactly, does it mean to do so?

For further information please contact: Juergen Pieters, Vakgroep
Nederlandse Literatuur en Algemene Literatuurwetenschap,
Blandijnberg 2,
B-9000 Gent. (e-mail: [log in to unmask])

Int/9/221.46.80. (home)
Int/9/264.40.97 (work)
Fax: Int/9/264.31.95