Last winter (perhaps.... not  sure.... I lost the date) I  had a delightful
phone conversation with the UK PDS people.  (We had to pause now and again
when they asked me to aim the phone towards the mockingbird outside my
window in balmy/bonkers Los Angeles.)  I  posted it to this list, probably
during a time when Barbara Yacos was taking a time out.   Below is the
text, repeated at Barbara's suggestion.    David Langridge's brilliant bit
of whimsy is more interesting than repeating this nuts and bolts piece.
But  perhaps it will at least save  Derek and Simon some digging, or we
could compare notes on what they discover themselves.

First, my two cents:  The PD Village discussion was prompted by some of us
who are solo, often because  spouses understandably jumped ship after PD
was diagnosed.    There are enough of us that maybe we could become
caregivers for each other.  Every person has a dread -- PD or no PD -- of
winding  up in a nursing home, or worse,  becoming a "burden" to our kids.
Maybe that would be a solvable problem if we pooled our ideas.   Until
David Langridge's on&off pub materializes, this list is the best place
we've got for such a forum.   (And we'll always sup on our fava bean soup
*outside*.)    Naysayers in  my support group  have already raised  some
solid objections:  "It's not healthy for disabled people to cluster into
'ghettos'.  PD is  depressing enough without being constantly surrounded by
it.  Remember the horrors of the '60's communes when people had huge fights
over where to keep the can opener.  When  times are truly  tough, blood is
thicker than water, and only family will come through for you."   Any
thoughts, anyone?

1995/96

This  morning I talked about " PD Villages" with  Rosie Haywood in the
London office of the Parkinson's Disease Society of the UK.  She said
they've taken a different direction from the one Barbara Yacos read about a
few year ago.  They must follow the plan of the 1991 National Community
Care Act for  Medical and Social Welfare.   The emphasis now is to help
people maintain their independence and stay in their own homes.  The
facility at Walsall, the original "village",  has been made into a
sheltered accommodation" with "wardened care" with "flatlets" --   6 rooms
per wing with a "warden" on call for each wing -- for people who can't live
independently.   Because of the way it is designed, she said it would be
possible for Yuppers (young-onset) to have their own wing.

At Inverness, they've converted a wing of a lovely hospital into 2 bedroom
apartments.  It sounds beautiful --  nestled in the foothills of the
Highlands.  Families stay there (they can even bring the dog!) for
short-term visits.  Sometime it is while the  person with Parkinsons is
going through physiotherapy.  For other people, it's like what we in the
U.S. call a "time-share condo".    Families come for respite care and for
vacations.

The Inverness facility idea was sparked and pushed by the Parkinson's
Society as a joint effort with the government's Health Trust.  After three
years, when it's on its feet, the Trust will take over managing it.  But in
general, government support is becoming less available.  The Society's
projects have to  be able to survive in a competitive market.  They're
applying to become one of the groups to benefit from the national lottery,
since that's where people's "charitable" giving  now seems to be going.

They also organize group vacations with the needs of PD people in mind.
She's now putting together a "yoga holiday" for example.

Talking about housing options, Rosie Haywood referred to the Leonard
Cheshire houses in the U.K.  Huge old homes are redesigned to house groups
of people with "mixed" disabilities.  There is a least one for young
people.

Mary Yost,  from "Westwood Village" in Smogland near UCLA,  where I walk to
work but don't inhale;   48, diagnosed 1990