                                 RTK.NET Mail 201146   Sep  3 19:05:46 1996
Jacob Drollinger wrote:
>My Parkinson's was caused by CO poisoning. For some reason, the poison
>bypassed the cognitive functions of my brain, and went strait to the
>pallidus, in which I now have (as a former neuro once told me), a "Hole".

<snip> I have heard that having a pallidotomy is
>the only way in which they can get GDNF across the blood brain barrier. If
>that is true, and I already have a hole in my pallidus, wouldn't that make me

>a prime candidate for the treatment?
>Any answers or thoughts would be appreciated.

It's not that you need to have a whole pallidotomy, for the GDNF is dripped
into a ventrical space in the brain.  It's a considerably less invasive
and complicated procedure than a pallidotomy and does not require
stereotactic procedures and equipment (this information comes from the
presentation by an Amgen rep. at last May's PAN forum).  Like a pallidotomy,
however, it does involve drilling a hole in the patients skull.  Since
these are the first human trials, it's a pretty radical procedure
considering the fact that the goal is to establish the safety of the
procedure itself, not to fine tune something shown to at least be
experimentally successful on Parkinson's patients (like fetal tissue
implants and pallidotomy, etc.)  Wanting to do as little harm as possible
in these first trials, there's an obvious advantage to using a patient
who has already had a surgery that required entering the brain through
the same area of the skull.

I know this wasn't the answer you wanted to hear...sorry.

Sherri