Subject: "Update on my Dad"

To: Kristin Delfeld

Hello Kristin
On Tue 03 Sep,Kristin wrote:

> prognosis was very good!  What he meant is that Dad would not experience the
> common PD symptoms like rigidity for a long time.  I guess, in the Dr.'s
> experience, people with only tremor symptoms do not go down hill as fast as
> people who initially experience slowness, rigidity, etc...  *What do you all
> think of his analysis?*  Those of you who initially had only hand tremor,
> have you had slow progression of symptoms?  He's still taking Eldepryl -
> 5mg/day.

It is an interesting point that you raise; whether there is a link between
type of early symptom and rate of degeneration of PD. For what it is worth,
I was diagnosed 17 years ago, but can trace the first symptoms back 23 years,
and my earliest symptom was classic PD hand tremor.  Although I personally
find the prospect of a correlation unlikely, it would be interesting if those
members of our group who have had PD for longer than, say 10 years could
send the following details:
    1/  Time since diagnosis
    2/  Time since first symptoms (with hindsight)
    3/  Age when diagnosed
    4/  Early symptoms

I have added item 3 because I have a feeling that long term PWPs tend to start
early.

Re the Eldepryl - I am not a believer in Eldepryl. As I recall it, there was
a big flurry of interest when the case of the California drug addicts who
accidentally took MPTP instead of 'designer Heroin', and promptly lost almost
all the Dopamine-producing cells in their brain. Like going from 0 to 60 in
half a second. Neurologists quickly worked out what was happening, and
realised that Eldepryl could block the reaction. So; in case people got PD
by interacting with the occasional MPTP like molecule, they prescribed
Selegeline (Eldepryl).  I was prescribed 2 tablets per day, but began to get
vivid nightmares and cut back to 1 per day. I think the majority of neuros
now have little faith in the argument for Eldepryl, and are taking people off it in droves.

> Also, Dr. put Dad on an anti-anxiety/anti-depression drug (don't remember
> which one) to control the internal body tremors.  He felt Dad's int. tremor

I marvel at the casual way doctors put people on anti-depressive drugs,
especially PWPs. If possible, my advice is to take only essential drugs.

There are two schools of thought about the advisability of starting levodopa
therapy early, or postponing the start in the hope that it will prolong the
effectiveness in the later stages. I favour the start early school of thought.
a/ Because I have seen no good proof to the contrary,
b/ Because the drugs which are prescribed instead of Levodopa scare me more
than Levodopa (Sinemet).
  Sinemet taken now would almost certainly control your dad's tremor.

Regards,

Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>