Hello, All:

Checking files, I found reference to a patch discussed in a news release:
06/18 0853  Discovery Therapeutics' Parkinson's  Treatment ...

VIENNA, AUSTRIA (June 18) BUSINESS WIRE -June 18, 1996--Discovery
Therapeutics, Inc., a privately-held pharmaceutical company
located in  Richmond, Va., today announced the presentation of
the first human data for its N-0923 transdermal patch product for
the treatment of Parkinson's Disease.
---snip------------------------
"The N-0923 molecule itself is structurally different from
available  therapies.  In addition to being optimized for
transdermal delivery, it is a very specific non-ergot-based
dopamine agonist that avoids side effects, such as dyskinesia
(jerky movements) and the gastrointestinal distress associated
with less specific and ergot-based compounds."
   The company has just completed a study of the efficacy of the
N-0923 patch in Parkinson's Disease patients.  Preliminary
results are encouraging and the data will be submitted this
summer for publication, probably to appear early next year.
---------snip-----------------------

 CONTACT: Discovery Therapeutics
 804/358-9468
-----------------------------------
 I called the company and was told that there has been an interview
regarding the product, but they did not know where it will be shown.
Apparently, they have successfully completed the first part of Phase II and
now they are in the process of extending the amount of time that the patch
is worn by patients from 30 hrs to 3 weeks. They are selecting clinical
sites for this part of the trial; sites that have a large patient base.
 They expect to enter Phase III in 1997, seek FDA approval in 1998 and
perhaps release the patch in 1999 or 2000. (What an odd feeling to write the
year 2000!)

Note to Will Johnston: I am planning to send a copy of the news release to
Dr. Sage at Robert Wood Johnson, maybe they can be one of the sites?!

>Subject:       Re: The Patch
>
>At 01:08 AM 9/4/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>TV news tonight had story of parkinson medication (sinemet?)
>>experimentally administered through a patch, like nicotine.  Seems like
>>a great idea.  Gets the medicine into the blood with no interaction
>>with what's in the gut.  Anyone try it or know anything about the
>>study? I didn't get any name.
>>
>>Allan Netick
>>
>Allan,
> As I get the story, the patch contains a "dopamine--like" substance which
>may be something like Permax/Parlodel.  The testimonial is from one of 9
>patients who wore the patch for 30 hours. Talked with Betsy Beasley (Mrs.
>Bernie) in Richmond.  A friend was one of the nine.  No improvement in that
>case.  I doubt this will be any improvement but we shall see. Developer is
> a neurologist at Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU has a strong
faculty  in neuropharmacology, but all seem to be working with pot and other
less than legal drugs.  The CNN web page has the dtory.. posted at 9:30 last
night.