Just an update on what is happening with my dad.  He went from the hospital
to the nursing home in the retirement community where he and my mother live.
He has been there for 2 weeks and will go home next Thurs. which is the end
of the 20 days that medicare pays for.  He is doing well on a continuous
feed tube.  They will use that at night and during the day my mother will
feed him at intervals. She is being trained by the staff on all of this.  We
couldn't ask for better care. He has daily occupational and physical therapy
which will continue with a home health aide paid for by medicare.  All the
equipment and the "food" are also covered because he cannot eat (at least
that is what we have been told).  He is slowly gaining some weight back.
I am holding my breath to see how my mother handles all of this.  She is not
the best at handling problems - likes to depend on my sister and me.  She
has also had some freedom these last few weeks and is enjoying it, which
she should. Can anyone tell me how the medicare 20 day limit works with
repeated stays.  Is there a time limit before using it again?  I can see
that he may need another "visit" in the future.  Hope our experiences will
be informative for others.  "It takes a village"  Marcia