WASHINGTON, Sept. 4 /PRNewswire/ via Individual Inc. -- The Seniors
Coalition today released the following statement regarding the FDA's recent
decision to permit generic competition of Eldepryl(R), a widely prescribed
treatment for Parkinson's disease. "The FDA's action has created a
significant safety hazard for America's elderly who rely upon this
medication," said Thair Phillips, CEO of The Seniors Coalition. "We are
normally a strong supporter of generic drug approvals, but have decided to
issue an alert to our more than 2 million members and the public so that
they are aware that the generic versions of Eldepryl(R) tablets lack the
required data to support bioequivalence and therapeutic equivalence of the
brand name product."

"We feel it is imperative that senior citizens who need this medication be
aware of the fact that the generic versions of the brand drug do not, in
this case, match the brand drug which is currently being marketed in capsule
form," explained Phillips. "The FDA should immediately reverse its decision
in allowing the generic versions manufactured as tablets to be marketed. It
creates confusion and potentially places patients at substantial risk."

The manufacturer of Eldepryl(R) is seeking a preliminary injunction today in
Delaware Federal District Court to block further marketing of the tablet
form approved for marketing by FDA for three generic companies.

Eldepryl(R) was approved by the FDA as an orphan drug in 1989 and is
arguably the most effective drug treatment available for end-stage
Parkinson's disease patients. "Off-shore foreign black-market suppliers have
flooded the American market with unsafe and ineffective copies of this
important drug, which forced the manufacturer to switch to a capsule dosage.
This new capsule protects consumers from the more confusing tablet version
which were easily copied by black-marketeers to appear to be the brand
product when they were not," Phillips explained.

"The issue for The Seniors Coalition members, and all Parkinson's patients,
is that generic drugs should meet the standard applied by FDA for
bioequivalence and therapeutic equivalence," Phillips continued. "When
generic copies meet this standard, they are given an 'AB' rating. None of
the generic copies of Eldepryl(R) have this important rating. Until they do,
we believe the confusion in the market puts patients at substantial risk. We
believe strongly that unless the FDA rescinds its prior approval of these
tablet forms of Eldepryl(R) patients will be subjected to an unacceptable
risk for unsafe and ineffective treatment if they use the non-AB rated
generic tablets."

SOURCE Seniors Coalition

/CONTACT: Nona Wegner of the Seniors Coalition, 703-591-0663/

[09-04-96 at 15:02 EDT, PR Newswire]