Rick Barrett wrote:

>                            Subject:                         Time:   6:41 PM
>                            New to the List                  Date:   9/5/96
>
> Hi!
> My name is Rick Barrett and I'm new to this list and rather new to PD. In
> brief, here is my PD story. I'm 34 years old and about 5 years ago I started
> getting some stiffness in my left hand which made handwriting difficult. The
> docs at that time treated me for carpel tunnel syndrome.  The thought was that
> I spent too much time on the computer - but I barely typed two pages a day.
> After two years of therapy and and assorted meds I was finally referred to a
> neurologist, who after a couple visits made the diagnosis - PD.  As I'm sure
> all of you experienced, I was devastated. I had personally seen the ravages of
> PD on my maternal grandmother. The second opinion confirmed it.
>
> Since that time things have been a real rollercoaster. Some good days - some
> bad. The most bothersome thing that seems to have come with PD is what the
> docs have termed: "emotional lability" (sp?). I now seem to well up at even a
> sappy commercial! Even writing this is difficult. This makes face to face
> discussions about highly emotional issues (including PD) a big risk of
> embarrassment. Most of the time I can avoid the "triggers" when I recognize
> them in time. Once in a while though I have a "tear attack" that I cannot
> control. Attending PD group meetings is out of the question. This is why I
> think that this forum will be so helpful to me.
>
> Just to put things in perspective - I'm a structural engineer who investigates
> disasters for a living. I regularly have to testify regarding my findings and
> I am often involved big $ disputes - not the career path for someone with a
> thin skin. I'm doing the best that I can. I've had to state during testimony
> that I have PD so please do not misinterpret my shaking and twitches for a
> lack of conviction regarding my opinions. This approach worked well although I
> narrowly avoided the triggers.
>
> The docs have me on Wellbutrin for the "lability" and eldepryl for now. I'm at
> the point where I could use some PD relief so we a trying the standard arsenal
> of meds - before starting on Sinemet.
>
> So much for brevity! It was helpful just to write this down - sending it
> shouldn't hurt too much either. Thanks for letting me unload a bit.
>
> Rick Barrett ([log in to unmask])

Dear Rick,
Welcom to thhe List.  I am new on it as well and have found a wealth of
info and just comfort in being able to "talk" with other PWPD.
It is truly a scary thing to face up to this disease.  I think I have
been in a major denial for 41/2 years now ever since my diagnosis.  My
meds worked great until the past couple of months and suddenly the
wheels came off so to speak. Right now I am facing the decision to
continue or stop Parlodel and I have found myself using mega boxes of
Kleenes this summer to mop up all my tears.  WHat I am learning is that
 I must keep a sense of humor or I will never make it. It's hard to
laugh when your hand won't write and  you can't even walk a block
wihtout your legs twisting and turning, but we have to somehow.  I am
finding prayer a big help also.  Hang  in there.  We're all in this
together.

Marty Rose