> DEAR MM,
>   The PDR is primarily nothing but a bound copy of the inserts which drug
> manufacturers are required to supply. I have found that the PDR is an
> excellent source of information so long as one keeps the source of
> information in perspective.  The PDR has a tendency to overstate some
> benefits of certain drugs and to unnecessarily scare the uninformed reader
> with some side effects---and to understate  the more likely side effects
> -actually or on account of the jaded feeling gets reading about the rare or
> non-existant side effects found in rats feed many times the maximum doseage
> for full grown human. I have found that the  NURSING96 DRUG HANDBOOK [I
> WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD

I always refer to the side effects in the PDR whenever my husband has
been prescribed a new med.  The benefits of medication quickly become
manifest, but the side effects can be insidious and dangerous for him.
So, when I read that a med causes *any* neurological impairment, I watch
him closely.  The minute he begins to have a decrease in functioning
ability, I alert his doctor.  Thus, we have discovered that Indocin, an
anti-inflammatory drug, was one Jamie could not tolerate.  As a nurse, I
was not aware that this med could cause problems in neurologically
impaired folks.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann