excerpts from Action Advisory-  Status and Strategy

This is the final opportunity for 1996 passage of the Udall bill.  With a
majority of each House co-sponsoring (as well as a majorityu of every key
committee and sub-committee) we should be well positioned for passage.

SENATE-  The streamlined version of the Udall bill as added to the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) reauthorization bill, was unanimously reported out
of the Labor committee and awaits scheduling for a votre on the Senate floor.
 WE MUST PUSH THE LABOR COMMITTEE --CHAIR, NANCY KASSEBAUM (R-KS)-- TO GET
THE REPORT FILED ASAP SO THAT THE FLOOR VOTE CAN PROCEED,  THEN CONVINCE THE
SENATE LEADERSHIP TO SCHEDULE IT.    If for some reason that bill stops
moving, we must convince the leadership to send the Udall bill to the floor
by some other route, of which there are various options.  The original Udall
bill could be reported out of Committee for its own independent vote, or the
original or "streamlined" version could be the subject of a rider on a
different piece of legislation going to the Senate floor.

HOUSE-  With a majority of the Commerce Committee and its Health &
Environment Sub-Copmmittee members co-sponsoring , WE MUST PRESSURE HOUSE
LEADERSHIP AND COMMITTEE CHAIRS AS WELL AS OUR COMMITTEE MEMBER CO-SPONSORS
TO ALLOW THE BILL TO GET TO THE FLOOR FOR A VOTE. As in the Senate, there are
various possibilities:  The committee could willingly  "report out"  the
bill, the chairs could be pressured to do so by House leadership, or the
original bill or a '"streamlined version could be added onto other
legislation.

SUMMARY-  naturally our strategy will evolve to take advantage of the best
opportunities presented by changing events on the HIll during the month.  If
one avenue for a floor vote is blocked, we will pursue others until EITHER
THE BILL IS PASSED OR CONGRESS ADJOURNS.

YOU CAN CALL ANY MEMBER OF CONGRESS BY DIALING THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD AT
 1-800-962-3524

For more info to help get the bill passed contact PAN  1-800-850-4726