First-
Time is our enemy:  with lots of priorities and very little  "floor
time"available, WE MUST CONvINCE THE HOUSE AND SENATE LEADERSHIP   (key
people identified by state in earlier postings)  THAT UDALL  BILL PASSAGE IS
A HIGH PRIORITY.   The prospects are pretty good in the Senate,   IF WE KEEP
UP THE PRESSURE.  In the House, we need to convince Congressmen Thomas Bliley
(R-VA) and Michael Bilirakis (R-FL) to let the Udall bill out of the Commerce
Committee or to move the same National Instututes of Health bill that is
headed for a Senate vote.
Second-
The fetal tissue issue: (the use of tissue left over from elective abortions
for cell transplantation)  threatens to arise as an obstacle in the way of
passage.  Although some staunchly "pro-life" legislators--such as Udall bill
author, Senator mark Hatfield (R-OR)--support contunuation of such research
with the strong ethical protections codified in law, there are some Members
threatening amendments to ban such resear h.  Since other legfislators could
not accept such a ban, a floor fight may ensue.  it seems clear the
 Republican leadership does not want public debarte of such a contentious
issue before the election, so this could discourage them from allowing a
floor vote.  If this arises,  we need to conbince the Members involved that
it is unfair to let this side issue derail the Udall bill

YOU CAN CALL ANY MEMBER OF CONGRESS BY DIALING THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD AT
 1-800-962-3524

For more info to help get the bill passed contact PAN  1-800-850-4726