Don had DBS in France in 1994.  We live in California.  He has returned to
France twice for routine readjustment.  It has been cheaper to go to France than
to have the same medical treatment in the U.S.  Our experience has been that
in France the initial adjustment takes longer than it does at the U.S.
hospitals doing the procedure and therefore fewer adjustments are necessary.
There should be no "removal of the apparatus" necessary.  The stimulators
will eventually have to be replaced (as pacemakers need to be replaced);
that surgery is very much like pacemaker replacement and can be done at
any place that does pacemaker replacement.

Joanne Sandstrom