Subj:  Netnews Email and Web service have moved
Date:  Sat, Aug 31, 1996 11:32 PM EDT
From:  [log in to unmask]

we would like you to know that the Netnews service has moved.  Please use the
service at its new location as described below.

Stanford University is pleased to announce a new partnership with
 InReference, Inc. which will significantly enhance your service.

Under the terms of the agreement, Stanford has transferred the SIFT service
to InReference.  InReference makes the SIFT functionality available through
its Reference.COM service.  The service will remain free of charge.

We believe InReference is an excellent home for SIFT.  The company has the
infrastructure and support necessary to provide you with a high quality
service. In addition, InReference has added many interesting new features to
the service:

  * More Content

    - 6+ month archive of more than 16,000 news-groups.
    - The Internet's largest archive of publicly-accessible mailing lists
(soon to exceed 1,000).

    - Powerful filtering: Interactively refine your search using
      message header fields such as author, organization, conversational
thread, newsgroup/e-mail list.
    - Query Templates: Identifying and entering the right newsgroups and
mailing lists to search can be tedious.  InReference has formulated a few
query templates which pre-select the right  newsgroups and lists for a
particular topic.

  * Web and E-mail Accessible

    - Submit queries and receive results via e-mail or at the
      Reference.COM web site:
                    http://WWW.Reference.COM/
      FOR SPECIFICS about how the E-MAIL QUERY interface works,  send e-mail
to [log in to unmask] .

If you have a question not answered by the above information, please  send
e-mail to [log in to unmask], and please be specific.

Thank you for your ongoing interest in SIFT.

Sincerely,

Tak Yan, SIFT Architect
Hector Garcia-Molina, Principal Investigator, Digital Library Project
Department of Computer Science
Stanford University