Dear David,

Although your piece about the PD Village had a whimsical tone, some of us
young onset Parkinsonians from Victoria, Australia actually experienced this
sort of "Parkie community" this last weekend when 20 of us more or less took
over a holiday resort in a small country town about 65 kilometres from
Melbourne.
A few of us knew each other from support group meetings, but there were
several new members and some from the country who were accompanied by
spouses, partners.

We talked about our individual problems, shared with others coping
strategies, how we dealt with specific problems, got to know each other,
clowned around, played lawn bowls and snooker, took forest walks, sat in the
sun on a large balcony, cried a little and found again for a short time the
kind of freedom that came from feeling the acceptance and warmth of being
with other people who really understood what it was like to have Parkinson's
or care for someone with Parkinson's.  Consuming ample amounts of wine and
port around the fireplace at night made us feel less inhibited, less
self-conscious, more normal again despite the tremors, the cramps, the
ungainly movements,the forgetfulness, speech problems that usually set us
apart because all this was 'normal' in our little 'temporary PD Village.'

We agreed that this sort of weekend should become an annual event with our
support group.

Celia Jones