At 11:06 10/09/96 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Mark Atyeo [log in to unmask]
>
>On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 19:40:45 -0400, you wrote in part:
>"Because of interactions with other medications,  the
>tri-cyclic anti-depressants are not suitable for PD."
>
>Isn't Elavil in the tri-cyclic group?  I believe it is.  If so, what
>interactions are you referring to?

Barbara,
Elavil is not marketed under that name here, so I can't confirm whether you
are right or not.
First of all, I am not a medical person, so please don't take what I say as
gospel.
However, common side effects for tri-cylics are listed as confusion,(less
commonly, hallucinations), dry mouth, constipation or diarrhoea (!) nausea,
blurred vision, shakiness etc.

Doesn't this list seem familiar to a Parkie  :^(

Of course,  some of the effects  parallel those of other PD medications and
some mimic those of the disease itself  and since there are anti-depressants
such as the SRRI  class, available which have lesser (or no ) side-effects,
these are more suitable for those with PD.
At least this was the explanation (as I understood it) why Margaret was
taken off Tryptanol after she began having hallucinations and placed first
of all on Prozac.   This was later changed to Arapax (another SRRI) and
Margaret has made a full recovery from her poor mental state of 12 months or
so ago.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion I may have caused,
Regards,
Mark

Mark  Atyeo
+61 6 286 2606