On 9/11/96 S. D. Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<<<<My 87 year old grandfather was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease this
last week....We brought him home after a week and a half in the
hospital....There is no one in ouir household that is home 24 hours a
day....While we want to help him, he requires much care that I'm not sure we can
provide.  His wife is already in a care home, and the expense is tremendous to
put another one of our family members in a care home....>>>>>>>>>

Dear S. D.,

There are a number of state and federal government programs which provide
financial assistance for seniors in need of "long term care" (generally
involving a nursing or convalescent facility as opposed to a hospital which
offers "acute" care).  Basically, these programs (Medicaid is the most common)
determine a prospective patient's care need based on an evaluation performed by
a doctor or nursing facility and the patient's ability to pay based on a
financial evaluation performed by a case worker.  The patient pays what he/she
is able to pay based on state regulation and Medicaid pays the rest.  There is
no requirement that family members (other than the spouse) contribute anything
to the cost of care.

This is an oversimplification of a complex process but one that works very well.
Over a million families in this country find themselves in pretty much the same
situation it sounds like you are in.  Medicaid currently pays a portion or all
of the bills for 60% of all  nursing home residents in the U.S.  I suspect,
depending on your state of residence, someone here can direct you to a good
nursing home or case worker.  As it happens we have a real expert or two in long
term care on the Listserv.  (JUJUBLU-----Wake up girl!   Sounds like we may need
your expertise here.)

Bob Bowling
Overland Park, KS