Subject: ReQuip - New PD drug

To: Jacob Drollinger

The following is my understanding of the characteristics of ReQuip, based on
bits that I have picked up here and there. I do not have any 'inside
knowledge', so don't quote me.

  ReQuip - Previously known as Ropinirole is one of a new breed of Dopamine
agonists targetted specifically at the D2 receptors.

A dopamine agonist is anything which assists or enhances the effectiveness
of dopamine, whether it be naturally-occuring or introduced via levodopa).

The theory is that there are two types of dopamine receptors, called D1 and
D2. Enhancement of the D1 receptors produces the required effect, but also
produces the dyskinesias - random uncontrolled muscular movements- which
for many people is more=A0distressing than PD itself. The D2 receptors are
supposed to work in a similar way, but without the side-effect of induced
dyskinesia, thus allowing us to tolerate higher levels of levodopa.

The earlier dopamine agonists, Bromocriptine (Parlodel), Celance (Pergolide,
Permax) target the D1 and D2 reeceptors indiscriminately, whereas the new
breed selectively target the D2 receptors only.

The releases ao far seem to be aiming the drug at the newly-diagnosed PWPs
but I don't see why it should not also benefit the long-term PWP as well.
As I have argued in an earlier posting, I do not believe that there is
anything to be gained by delaying the introduction of levodopa.

Hope that is some help,

Regards,   Brian Collins