Hi Norman,

I just read your request for feedback on acupuncture & chinese herbs as I was
away on vacation for the past three weeks. My advice is to give it a fair trial,
$1,000 is nothing if it even arrests or keeps you at your present level of
function. However, acupuncture in traditional Chinese medicine, as practiced up
until recent times, was always combined with Chinese herbs, Qi Gong and Tai Chi
as a complete system. Acupuncture alone will not work as well as an isolated
therapy for PD although it does work for many less severe and chronic disorders.
I am 41 and have had PD symtoms for 13 years. I was able to put off taking
sinemet until 3 years ago by doing yoga and taking herbs, but my PD symptoms
still progressed to level 4 with my most annoying symptoms an uncontrollable
urge to urinate even at night, severe psoriasis, and loss of my short term
memory. I still remember replaying my phone messages and copying phone numbers
one digit at a time!

In the past three years I have spent a fortune on ayurveda, acupunture, chinese
herbs, massage, craniosacral therapy, homeopathy and a vegetarian diet. It is
very important to look at all aspects of your lifestyle including diet, stress,
mental habits, unresolved emotional entanglements, etc. and not just rely on the
acupuncture to "cure" you. Something has caused your PD, get it out of your
system whatever it is. If something is lacking or missing get it into your
system and life.

Presently, I am taking 4 x 100/25 sinemet CR and 2 x 5 mg Deprenyl a day along
with alfalfa, blue green algae, chlorella, bee pollen, multi-vitamins and a full
spectrum antioxidant formula. In the past 6 - 8 months, unles I'm really tired
or off,  my symptoms have diminished to the point where people who have known me
for a long time are amazed at my improvement, especially my skin which is now
completely free of psoriasis. All without increasing my dosage of medication.

A friend of mine in L.A. was diagnosed in 1986 at age 48 and heavily medicated
himself so that he would have no symptoms, but he now needs to take 100/10
sinemet/ hour to function at all. He is now almost totally incompacitated even
after a fetal cell transplant and pallidotomy. In the past year my handwriting
has returned, something I could not do since 1990, and my right arm swings
freely when I walk, something I was not able to do since 1993 when I had my
first symptoms of PD.

I avoide taking medication until I had no choice and since then have always
taken the absolute minimum of sinemet to function, perhaps even a sub-clinical
dose to keep what nerve cells I have functioning still producing dopamine. Also,
I take my last dose of sinenet at between 5 - 6 pm and no matter how I feel, I
don't take another dose until about 7 am when I wake up in the morning. This
give me a drug holiday every night, although turning over in bed can be a
challenge. I usally wake up an hour before I need to be up and take my first
dose of medication with a glass of water and perhaps a piece of fruit and relax
in bed until it takes affect. I can usually go until 11 am before my next dose.
I used to be exhausted most of the time and probably spent 25% of my day either
lying down or sleeping. Now I have lots of energy and go from 8 am till midnight
often without even a nap!

Anyway, this is what has worked for me, my advice is to give nature a chance.
Write me if you feel a need to talk.

Joseph