I have just joined this group, so this may be a topic that has been
around for awhile.

I ran across an article on a WEB site several weeks ago that stated that
fava beans might be used for treatment of PD in third world countries,
since they are a source of L-dopa.  I send out an e-mail and got the
following response:

"There was a good paper on Parkinson's including a discussion of fava
beans as
a food source of L-dopa, in Nutrition Reviews, May 1994;52:51-8. You
should
be able to get a copy at [any] medical library."

I have not read the article, but the prospect of fava beans being a
source of L-dopa brings up many questions:

*       What are the pros and cons of fava bean therapy?
*       Is this any better, worse, or just different than other sources?
*       Should one take these?  If so, how much?
*       How should they be prepared?
*       Are fava beans the only food source for L-dopa?  Are there others?
*       Do other flat beans provide some L-dopa, such as lima beans?
*       How dangerous is Favism, a hereditary disease in the Mediterranean
area?
*       Will dried beans work?
*       Are there different varieties that have various strengths?
*       etc?

Thanks

==Clay==