Re Dr. Simpson's report that "although the procedure has been used in Europe
for several years, `. . . we don't have data to show how long the effects
will last.'"

For most patients, effects have lasted since the original operation--and
some of those operations were done ten years ago.  The stimulators have to
be "reprogrammed" as it were, usually annually, because PD is a progressive
disease.  Even with the stimulators, the disease progresses.  "Tune ups"
involve tradeoffs.  If you want the tremor entirely suppressed, you might
have to give up some speech clarity.

At his last "tune up", Don chose to live with a little tremor so his speech
would be clearer.  We don't know what tradeoffs the next reprogramming will
bring.

BTW, someone mentioned not being able to go through airport security with
these stimulators.  That's true--you can't go through the general metal
detector gate.  You have to be patted down with a hand-held metal detector
(just like a pacemaker patient).  Don keeps hoping for an attractive young
woman with a metal detector, but he only gets the men.

Joanne Sandstrom
CG for Don, 59, 22 yrs., sinemet, DBS 6/94