We met with Senator Specter today in Pittsburgh.  We was myself, my wife
Deborah, and Dr. Michael Zigmond from the University of Pittsburgh.  We
jokingly        refer to ourselves  as the A-Team in reference to our
signing Senator Santorum on as a cosponsor when Joan Samuelson had
indicated that we should not waste our time on him.  We  have   a good
chemistry and have been very effective.  In fact of the 22 Senators
and/or Representatives we've seen personally, 18 have signed on as
cosponsors. The meeting seemed to go very well. We also had a couple of
influential allies present: Paul Lego, the former CEO of Westinghouse
Corporation, whose father had PD, and Larry Dunn, the Republican County
Commissioner, who is a neighbor and strong supporter of our efforts.

Our goal was to enlist Senator Specter as a champion of increased
spending on Parkinson's disease research.  Specifically, we hoped he
would consider  earmarking the appropriations Bill which is being
considered tomorrow.  He indicated he would consider such action and  he
appeared very sympathetic to our cause.  We pointed out how other
disease groups had previously received earmarks and therefore seemed to
get a disproportionate amount of funding as compared to Parkinson's.
All in all we were on cloud nine when we left the meeting.  We felt we
had done all we could   have hoped for.

Upon talking to the staff of the appropriations committee we found out
that they had already spoken to Senator Specter and that he was infact
very receptive of our presentation however there would be no earmark.
They would consider strong language in the report but that falls short
of what we had hoped.

I believe that we did take a step forward with Senator Specter, however,
we were looking to make a leap forward.

Thanks to all who wrote or called Senator Specter on our behalf.  We
gave it our best shot.  Keep calling and writing Congress as we go down
the stretch in September.  Hopefully one of the avenues  we are pursuing
 will pan out.