Emma,

Just check the time of some of the postings on the listserv and you'll
see how many of us are wide awake in the middle of the night!  In your
case, the culprit may be eldepryl; I had to give it up for that reason,
though I still only sleep a few hours at a time.

This is my protocol: When I first wake up I usually go to the bathroom
and listen to a relaxation tape which utilizes controlled breathing for
insomnia.  This takes about 20 minutes.  If I'm still awake when the tape
is finished, I get up and sit in a comfortable chair in the family room.
I read a good book or watch a video.  Sometimes I can doze there for a
while.  If I get really antsy, I get up and play with the computer.  This
engages my mind until the meds kick in.

This morning I've been awake, more or less, since 2:30.  The most
discouraging thing is that I've taken three doses of meds and nothing's
kicked in yet.  I had the same experience with melatonin as you did.  I
prefer not to take sleeping pills because they make me hung over during
the day.

My techniques help me get through the night, but don't provide me with
much sleep.  If you get an answer to the problem, let me know.

  pine`