On Wed 11 Sep, Nancy Bradley wrote:
> Hello to all-
>

> Several nights ago, I saw a segment on the evening news regarding a PD
> "patch" which would deliver a more continuous steady dosage of medication to
> the PD patient, through the skin.
>
> Anyone with any info on this, please contact me.  Is it still in R & D ?
> Is it available to the public?  What is the med contained in this new
> patch?  How can my father become involved in a clinical study?
>
> Nancy

Hello Nancy,
            I haven't seen a reply to your inquiry about the patch, so here
goes with the little that I have gleaned:  The press release referred to
using a Dopamine - like substance. It can't be Dopamine itself, bacause the
molecule is too large to go through the skin from a patch, so it is probably
a dopamine agonist like Pergolide (Permax). While some people seem to respond
to Permax alone, for the majority of us it is used in conjunction with
levadopa (Sinemet). There seems to be little point in wearing a patch if you
must continue to swallow tablets as well.

So: Much as I would like to believe, I am wary about investing too much hope
in this patch - which incidentally has a lot more testing to do before it is
available to the general public.

Sorry to be so negative,

Regards, Brian Collins

Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>