Hi Emma,
You write:
> A YAPP&R has been asking me  about an apparent  article written in the UK
> that likens the effects of coming off Cocaine (Cold Turkey)with the disease
> PD.  She is now doing some research into this ( minus the cocaine!) and
> wonders if there is a knowledgeable person out there who knows anything
> about the connection ???

At a meeting in Southampton yesterday evening we were discussing this
very idea, except that the drug was heroin, not cocain, about which I
had heard before.

It was suggested that the reason you get hooked on these drugs is that
dopamine is what is generated, taking heroin or cocaine, which produces
the pleasurable feelings. However with your dopamine cells
over-producing, they are unable to produce enough for regular
transmission of messages from the brain, hence the body craves more of
the stimulus to get itself back into working order (it thinks!)

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)