Barbara,

Thanks for the welcome,I have been a subscriber previously, but
unsubscribed when we moved  from Western Australia to Alice Springs.
Since coming  here I have been running around trying to find a doctor
& Neurologist, have now found both and have an appointment to see the
Neurologist on 27th September.

I am 53, PD diagnosed  5 years  ago.   For the past 4 years I have
lived in  a town 500km’s from the nearest Neurologist  and have had
lots of problems which a very caring doctor tried to help me with but
somehow whenever I did get to see the Neurologist  the problems were
different as I had worked at trying to overcome them. I would try to
explain what had been happening over the previous 6 months or so but
all these problems were never present at  the time of appointment.  I
always felt relaxed whenever I went to the Neurologist as I felt that
help was finally within reach.  Result was usually an alteration  to
the medication times/dosage etc.  The consultation usually  ended up
with me in tears, I think of frustration because I would now be going
back home where everything would be chaotic again (PD wise) and I
would be back to where I started from.   2 hours sleep a night, no
matter how much exercise (physical & mental) I did during the day,
constantly nodding off whenever I sat down but heaps of energy as
long as I kept going.  Confusion  (my mouth & brain never in unison).
Suddenly answering a question that I had been asked  days before but
had no revelance to the the present time.  (fortunately I had very
understanding friends)  The anti-depresants didn’t give me any more
sleep, just made my brain fuzzier, constant nausea, so more pills
were prescribed to counteract this.  (what a mess). I hated going to
bed anyway as it was so painful and stiff to get myself out of bed,
even after only a couple of hours.

Last January I somehow managed to run my car off the road. I decided
that  enough was enough so took matters into my own hands and went
off all my medication. At this stage I was on, Sinamet, Sinamet CR, &
Parlodel.

After about a week I felt terrific,  the brain was becoming clearer,
the stiffness was disappearing, I was getting more sleep and even
able to get out of bed without assistance. However the tremors were
returning  and I knew I had to go back on the medication.  I decided
to just take the Sinamet.  The dose I had been prescribed was 1
Sinamet 100/25 on waking, then 1 Sinamet CR with my breakfast about 2
hours later, followed by  1 Sinamet CR every 4 hours during the day .
8am, 12noon, 4pm, 8pm. so this is the dosage I resumed.  This was
great, I felt I was back to being part of the human race again, no
backache, clear head, 7-8 hours sleep at night and heaps of energy
during the day.  4 months later, during May, it appeared that we
would be going to move about the end of June, and as I needed another
prescription for the Sinamet I went to see my doctor.  He just stared
at me in unbelief (as though I had returned from the dead) as he
couldn’t believe ‘how well I looked’.  I told him what I had done, he
threw up  his hands in horror and after a great deal of discussion he
decided that if it worked  why not stick to it but maybe it would
only be short lived and I should get an appointment with the
Neurologist to confirm this.  As I was unable to get an appointment
before we left at the end of June, I was advised to get an
appointment with another Neurologist when we were settled in our new
home.

We arrived in Alice Springs at the beginning of July (1500kms from
Adelaide in one direction and 1500kms from Darwin in the other.)  A
neurologist comes up here from Adelaide every three months and as
luck would have it I have secured an appointment with him.
Every thing  is still going fine although I have discontinued the
Sinamet 100/25 in the morning as I seemed more jerky an hour after
taking it than I was upon waking.

A couple of weeks ago  I thought I was having a gall bladder attack,
spent all night walking the floor with the pain, ( I had my gall
bladder out 15 years ago) ended up  going to casualty at the
hospital.  I have now had blood tests, x rays, ultra sound etc, which
fortunately revealed nothing sinister.  My doctor feels that it was
probably a panic attack caused by my move  and frustration at trying
to get this appointment  to see the Neurologist Also a good meal of
Lasagna with Bechamel sauce & chips with sour cream and chives,  (
This is not my normal diet as I have been  trying to get my weight
down.) probably didn’t help either.

I am looking into the possibilities of starting up a support group
here if I can find enough people who have PD.  The opinion of  people
I have contacted is that when one gets  medical problems  like this
it is preferable to move to one of the big cities. As this is not an
option for us for at least the next four years I must get on with my
life and  take each day as it comes.

I have not been in paid  employment since 1991 when I took a
redundancy package thinking that my problems (diagnosed at that time
as depression ) would  go away.

I do keep myself busy however, I  ‘work’ at the op shop 4 days a week
and am a volunteer for Prison Fellowship who have been manning the
visitors' centre on Saturdays & Sundays since the new jail opened here
three weeks ago.

As a Christian I am convinced that ‘I can do all things through
Christ who strengthens me’.

 Pam Matthews. c/o [log in to unmask]