>Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 06:27:16 +1000
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Mary Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re massage questions
>
>>From: Mary Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: Massage - Questions
>>
>>>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:50:53 +1000
>>>To: "PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network"
>>>From: Mary Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re: Massage - Questions

>>>Good morning from Aussie,
>>>The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so to say.  As I mentioned I
was having a remedial massage once a fortnight for about eighteen months.  I
started this to aleviate sore tendens and muscles, which was the result of
increasing tremor and rigidity because I was experience more "off" time.  My
right arm ached so severely prior to starting massage therepy that it often
woke me up at night and I always went to sleep with my arm supported on a
small pillow.  By the way an extra side benefit was less problems with back
ache, which I used to suffer from in the gardening season.  But I became
complacent and during a period of financial strain I stopped going.  It is
three months since I had my last massage and all the aches and pains have
been getting steadily worse, so much so that my arm woke me up again the
other night.  Needless to say I have an appointment next tuesday with my
masseuse.  In Australia (Melbourne) the going rate is $35 and hour.  Make
sure you go to a masseuse with professional qualifications.  There are some
short courses around and there is no statutory requirements, so any-body can
do it.  My health fund does not give a refund but if you have a letter from
your doctor stating that it is treatment required for the relief of pain for
P.D. you or your husband can include it in your medical costs for  tax
purposes. My water excercises include swimming laps (breast stroke) slow and
deliberate strokes, all the while concentrating on using each muscle in my
body.  The amount of laps is dependent on my energy level.  I NEVER push
myself to exhaustion stage.  Walking up and down in the pool.  Terrific for
the muscles in your ankles.  If you've ever tried to walk in chest deep
water you will know what I mean.  I excercised every muscle in your feet,
ankles and legs.  I then go to the side of the pool and do further leg
excercised, which I adapted from ballet (used to do it as a child) and yoga.
Then to finish off I float on my back and do relaxation and breathing
excercises.  I find the floating, and weightlessness helps me to abandon
myself into a non thinking state.  That's it! Takes about 3/4 hour and I do
this 3 times per week.  On alternate mornings when I don't swim I take an
half hour walk, always concentrating on my deep breathing while I walk. Oh
yes one other thing.  Stretching!  In the water, on my back, hands clasped,
toes pointed down and stretch with all my might.  Face down in the water,
fingers and toes pointed and once again stretch as though you were on a
rack.  I always concentrate on the muscles I am excersing and vision them
becoming stronger and more flexable.  This also makes the time go quicker
and you feel like you've really achieved some-thing when you leave the pool.
Hope that's what you wanted to know.  I'm no expert and have no
qualifications in physical fittness.  Just do what my body tells me it
needs!  Good Luck.