At 10:59 PM 9/13/96 -0400, you wrote:
>                           Subject:                         Time:   6:37 PM
>                           Reaction to Parlodel             Date:   9/13/96
>
>I'm relatively new to PD and to date my symptoms have been mild - only a few
>people even know that I'm not feeling as good as I should, but the disease is
>slowly catching up with me. I'm at the stage where I could use some relief
>from both the tremors and the stiffness of PD. Unfortunately, I have been
>intolerant of the medications (Pergolide and recently Paroldel). My last bout
>was yesterday. I was ramping up on Parlodel transitioning form 1.25 mg twice a
>day ( total of 2.5 mg for one week) to 3.75 mg total.  About 3 hour hours
>later I felt faint - then really faint. I got very cold but was sweating
>profusely. My collegues at the office said I turned white as a sheet. I fought
>fainting for about 30 minutes then it subsided. My doc says that nausia is a
>common side effect, but this was well beyond nausia.
>
>Has anyone experienced a similar reaction? If so, were you able to overcome
>the problem by staying on the lower dosage for a longer time or some other
>method. I'm afraid that I may run out of options before I start Sinemet. My
>doc and I would like to put this off a while. I'm very interested in your
>experience.
>
>Rick Barrett (34, Dx:3yrs)
>Sunnyvale CA

Dear Rick Barrett,

As a neurologist, I think the symptoms you have mentioned were probably due
to postural hypotension, which was also one of the side effects from
anti-parkinson's medication. Parlodel certainly has such kind of side
effect, which would result in fainting episode, falling down and head injury.
I suggest you to increase the dosage as slowly as you can and check your
sitting up even, standing up blood pressure frequently. Give the result of
blood pressure to your physician and discuss with him.

Sincerely yours,
Chung-Yao Hsu M.D. from Taiwan
Chung-Yao Hsu M.D.
Director, Sleep Disorders Laboratory