Henry Spielberger asked about estrogen replacement therapy with PD. He has
brought up a very important point that is of concern to women with PD.

What dosage and form of estrogen was involved? The lowest concentration of
conjugated estrogen, 0.625 mg, is the conservative, relatively safe
replacement level of therapy for the protection from bone loss and
atherosclerosis that women enjoyed prior to menopause. Whether or not
progestin is added for some 7 days during the cycle, depends on a number of
factors. Its function is to encourage normal endometrial maturation,
reducing the risk of cancer. If a woman has had a hysterectomy, for example,
it may be unnecessary.

I do not have PD, but during the months, a decade ago, when my doctor took
me off of the estradiol I had been taking for years, I learned what it was
like to feel like ones body is full of writhing worms. So when my husband
tells me that is what he feels like in the night, I can really understand.
(His Restless Legs Syndrome extends full length at times.) I put up with
this discomfort until I attended a medical seminar where the cancer risk was
put into perspective. Now, this safer form of the hormone, and the minimum
0.625mg. dose of Premarin (conjugated estrogens) takes care of the bones and
arteries, and the worms are long gone, thank goodness.

It seems to me that a woman with PD has enough to contend with without
adding the estrogen withdrawal symptoms and the problem of increased bone
loss. It is also clear that this is adding a powerful hormone into the mix
that is already so tricky to deal with. Ideally, one should be able to bring
an endocrinologist into the picture to consult with the neurologist. Since
this is unlikely to happen, a family practice doctor should be able to
assist in balancing the hormone replacement with the PD meds.

Martha   CG for Neal,76/11