Bob Baker writes:
> Hello to all.  I was diagnosed with PD 1 year ago but had undiagnosed
> symptoms for 3 prior years.  Age 72.  My neuro put me on Eldepryl and
> anti-oxidant vitamins.
>
> I have read where exercise and keeping fit are as important as taking
> the medicine.

QUITE CORRECT!

I am staying as active physically as possible hoping
> that the PD progression will be curtailed appreciably.

You seem pretty active.

> Does anyone have comments, positive or negative, about any exercise
> program that might help forestall PD?

Someone did you a great favour by giving you that information. Let me
tell you a true story:

A man who used to be a PT Instructor in the (British) Army, caught PD.
It got progressively worse until he was confined to a wheelchair,
couldn't dress himself, had to be fed. He was a vegetable, to all
intents & purposes - a pitiful case!

Something happened (I don't know what) to make him take stock of
himself, and he started exercising. I met him at a YAPP&RS meeting a
year later when he was standing up giving us a talk on the importance of
exercise. Without any doubt at all, he was the fittest and most able
person in the room, and that included all the partners and two
professional carers! People, who had known him before, were absolutely
staggered by the change in him.

The message is:
YOU CAN GET BACK - But, it's a sight easier not to let yourself get in
that state in the first place. He reckoned it was extremely hard and
constant effort, but he had nothing to lose!

Go figure!

> > At this point in
life, I view PD as a blessing as it has given me > something that I feel
I must overcome.  Those who have rocks in their > path often accomplish
more that those whose path is unhampered. > > Bob Baker >

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)