Jacob...

It seem to me we're each indiviudally bothered by so many different PD
symptoms, that whatever is the worst per individual IS the worst indignity
THAT person suffers from the disease.   IF micrographia (tiny handwriting) IS
the worst PD symtom that Ernie suffers (and lucky HIM if it IS....) then why
belittle his feelings about it?  He WANTS to be "normal," and to be able to do
one of the simplest tasks that a "normal " adult person does.... to handwrite.

This is a matter of "pride,"  and perhaps denial, and controlling our own
life..(and maybe ignorance about PD, too).  It IS embarassingly frustrating to
have to ask others to handwrite for us.  And it IS embarassing to be forced to
admit not only to yourself but to a roomful of strangers that ya need that
help because your have Parkinson's (or any disease) and that you've reached a
stage where you can't do eveyrthing for yourself, and must humble yourself to
ask strangers in a public place for assistance in accomplishing such a simple
act.  It's embarassing AND dehumanizing.  It is embarassing to feel
"different" than everyone else in that room.

We each adjust to, and eventaully accept that we have this terrible disease
only when IT forces us to, and not before.  How many of us have bargained with
God or whatever we believe or don't believe in (gee.... is that politically
correct enough?) <grin>, saying something like, "Well, THIS I can live with,
even tho I can't button a shirt ay longer or tie my shoes (or handwrite)...
but PLEASE just don't let it get any WORSE?"

IF not being able to write IS the worst thing about having PD that Ernie has
had to adjust to then whom amongst this group of individuals hasn't faced some
other PD symptom and said, "I have stood it all, but THIS I can't stand?"  And
who are ANY of US to consider that personal loss a "trivial" matter?  And whom
of us has not grieved for the loss of a "normal" function due to PD?

NOTHING about Parkinson's is "trivial" for anyone who has it, I believe.

Barb Mallut,