I don't know why some PWP are put on both pergolide (Permax) and Parlodel
(bromocriptine).  Care to enlighten me?

I am the proud owner of yet another disease with no known cause or cure - and
a terrible record for effective treatment - RLS (restless legs syndrome).
 That along with PD is enough to cause one to go bonkers.

I am able to cope with the PD (lo these eleven plus years) but I'm darned if
I can get a handle on treating RLS.  I joined the Restless Legs Syndrome
Foundation several years ago and my neurologist and I keep hitting stone
walls re effective treatment.   For me:

Sinemet at bedtme works for awhile and then rebounds or augments and daytime
RLS sets in - a vicious cycle.

Klonopin (clonazepam) works for about a month and stops.

Oxycodone works better than most drugs for RLS but not worth the habituation
worry- or that rumour about it vying with dopamine for a place in the brain.
 I don't want any of our present drugs moving in on dopamine and rendering it
ineffectual.

I've tried different tranquilizers, muscle relaxants and anti-epileptics to
no avail.

Sometimes the planets are  on track and something works - for awhile - like
Permax (pergolide) -but I wake up literally "seeing stars" - blue sparkly
stars - for a minute or two - and that scares me, so I am going off Permax.
 I seriously doubt that Permax, an agonist, is worth the hopes we had for it.
 I'd welcome being wrong on this.

Bromocriptine (Parlodel) made me climb the walls - go ballistic.

Jeremy Browne - keep us appraised on Requip (ropinirole) which is being
released in the UK.  I hope it works for RLS.  Good luck.

So that leaves me wandering around trying to walk away this  twitching
torture.  What happens when PD gets worse and I can't exercise or walk for
leg relief (which at best only allows relief whilst moving).

There are millions of people suffering with this strange malady and not
enough research to figure out what is really going on or where it is coming
from and why.  Sad but true of a lot of diseases.  Our drug bills and doctor
office visits would fund a lot of good research.

RLS is hereditary on top of all the above - one of my daughters has it - as
does my brother - his daughter - and our mother - and her brother.  Each at a
level from mild to strong.

Sufferers describe a patchwork of temporary remedies that eventually succumb
to the twitching's inevitable return.

Does RLS cause insomnia? You can bet your boots on that.

Amazingly many (most) doctors and nurses have never heard of RLS  or, if they
have, don't take it seriously unless they get the torment too. Recently two
M.D.'s joined the foundation - each has RLS.  Things are looking up for us.
 For our children's sake, I sure hope so .

Restless Legs Syndrome is an equal misery association.

Barbara Yacos, RN