Hi Ernie,
I've had micrographia for the past 3 or 4 years, It was my first symptom.
Things I've found that help:
1.Lift your pen between letters - I can manage 4 letters before my hand
refuses to move.  So I can usually write Mary.  Then a short pause and I can
write the first 4 letters of my last name.
If it's a signature on an important document, I lift my pen, pause and
complete my signature.  If it's merely a credit card I'm signing, I just
write the first few letters of my last name and complete it with a squiggly
line.  I'm considering just writing M.S...squiggly line for my signature in
the future.  Have you ever noticed the signatures of famous people who sign
their names a lot? Mostly illegible - sometimes just a line with a couple of
bumps in the middle.  Heck! We can do that.
2.  Relax.  Take a deep breath.  It's much harder to write when you're tense.
So what if there's a line behind you!  How many times have you waited in the
"10 items or less" line for someone who was sneaking in 17?  It's payback
time!
3.Pay by credit card whenever possible.  It's easier to write your signature
than a whole check.  If you know you'll have to write a check. Get as much of
it written out ahead of time as you can.
4.If people seem to be rushing you, tell them you have a nerve problem and
have difficulty writing.  Be prepared to listen to details of their carpal
tunnel syndrome.  At least they they are feeling empathy.
5.Tell everyone that you just found out that an illegible signature is a mark
of genius.  We might as well put a good spin on this.  Have we learned
nothing from our political candidates?
Mary