My absolute first PD symptom was loss of smell.    It was very gradual - I
noticed it one spring day when the lilacs were blooming and everyone around
me was effusing re this wonderful spring thing.  I couldn't smell the lilacs
but didn't think much about it at the time.   BUT .......

One day I was writing down an evaluation of a medical student's rotation in
Ob/Gyn at a Scottish institution - dictated to me by a professor in Scotland
- over the telephone.  I did this from time to time when instructors didn't
get around to filling out the evaluation forms.  I didn't know shorthand but
I was a fast writer.  That day I noticed I was memorizing what the doctor was
saying and that worried me a lot.

To make this essay simple - I lost practically all my handwriting ability
rather quickly and could no longer write reams of stuff on foolscap.  Friends
commented on my suddenly short notes after years of reading frequent letters
on 12 yellow pages, both sides,from me.  Dawn!!!  Something was wrong.

PD was what was wrong in l986.  I do miss writing stuff - typing doesn't fill
the gap at all.  I feel handicapped.  Imagine that!

So that was it - PD.  I set out to train everyone in town to help me cope.
 They fill out my forms, cheques, get money out of  my wallet to pay a bill
and put change back.  I don't apologize for the inconvenience and they don't
make me feel awkward.  If I can't get my coat on I ask strangers to help me.
 Most people are pretty obliging when allowed to be.  I've had little old
ladies and young students offer to walk with me at crosswalks.  I don't need
someone to walk with me, but it makes them feel good so I always say yes.
 Besides some good conversations have  often started in crosswalks...and a
couple of nice friendships.

Oh yes - I do have to sign my name on cheques or charges etc. and find if I
raise my arm high I can concentrate that old pen right down and lo and behold
a signature of sorts appears. My neurologist uses a slash for his signature -
I could try that.  This year B.Yacos.  Next year BY.  Some day a nice /.

It would seem that many of us really miss our ability to write.  but most of
us can type a little (I'd hate to tell you how long it took to type this
note) so keep your computer messages coming ladies and gentlemen.  We can
still read.  Let it all hang out.  No infirmaty is too trivial on this BBS
(Barb Mallut pointed this out more eloquently than I) and forget spell check
-  we can figure your message out just fine.

Barbara Yacos