I'm back...had the summer off from work.  I'm the caregiver for John age
65 pk since Jan. 96

We made it through a nice summer.  I have Lupus and Fibromaylgia.  Found out
in April that all my pain wasn't the diseases, but Nutrasweet Poisoning.
We both went off diet coke, diet whatevers, etc...and last week we had to
cut Johnny's Elderpyl and Sinemett CR dosages in half.  We had been told that
the nutrasweet/aspertane affected parkinson's too.  I never believe anything
until I see it happen, but now I am beginning to believe.  My Lupus is in
remission for the first time in 17 years.

Johnny doesn't have any problem with writing yet.  To check, each month when
I do bills, he is signing in the book so we can compare month to month.  I
thought it would be good to compare his physical/mental state with his
handwriting each month.

We are also still doing the facial exercises (smile, frown, etc.) to try to
keep that going as long as he can.

He has had a good summer...able to walk two miles a day, we've worked in
a small garden, and taken care of our yard which we are making only pea
gravel paths and herbs and prennials...we do have a little grass, but someday
hope not to.

The only think I have noticed is that some days he is confused.  When he is
like that I have to watch him very carefully or he will "get Lost" when we
are out, or drive the wrong way up the street, or "hug" that white line in
the center of the road.  The Dr. told us he was having small strokes and I
imagine a lot of it is connected with that.  I have noticed that when he's
like this he will be like this a couple of days and then seem to come out
of it.  He has quit driving at night unless absolutely necessary.  So,
basically we are doing ok.  I notice he doesn't handle stress too well.  He
either "ignores" it or cries.  I am a strong woman but sometimes when I
have to carry the whole load, it gets to me.  We're having trouble with
our ins. company replacing the roof on our house due to hail damage.  He
just can't deal with it.

How do you tell if you're getting too much/not enough of your medicines?
He had been complaining of his stomach cramping.  I cut his medicine in
half for a couple of days and he got better.  Then we went back to the
regular doseage and in about a week, he was again sick to his stomach
and throwing up.  I again cut him back, checked with the Dr. to "play"
with his doseage a bit.  So far he's been on the half doseage over a week
and seems to be doing very well with no pk. side affects yet.  Makes me
wonder if he was getting too much medicine.  He is sleeping better than
when he first started on the medicines, but still "jerks" some in his
sleep.

I have a limited e-mail and I worked all day yesterday cleaning it out so
I could come back online and receive mail.  This group has been such a
help and support to both of us.  I feel so lucky to have found it.

Well, I have rattled on enough...just wanted to say "Hello" and update
you on our progress.  This is my husband of 32 years...and I'm determined
that he will have the best of care, help, etc. that I can find and give
him.  I will not be satisfied that "there is nothing you can do for him"
attitude that I have run into with some doctors.  I will not accept that.
We will fight it with every hint, suggestion, etc. as long as we can.

Thanks for listening.

nancy