Hi,
I have seen the message by Ray Lakin about the PD conference in Germany. I can
give following information on it. Last weekend we had a gathering of younger PD
patients from all over Germany (Club U-40) in Oberwesel. As speaker we had
invited Prof. Henneberg from the Parkinson clinic in Bad Nauheim. She will
organize a symphosium on PD on Nov. 23, 1996 in Bad Nauheim (near Frankfurt).
Researchers from various countries will attend (also from US) to have an
exchange on latest developments in treatment of PD. I will attend this
symphosium and will write a summary about salient new developments for the list
members. So far an official programme is not yet available.

Furthermore we had a meeting of our local PD support group last week and had
invited Prof. Oertel ( Marburg University). He mentioned that a new drug is
supposd to be released on the market next spring or summer. The research name is
"COMT", some sort of blocker, more effective than pergolide (agonist). It shall
reduce the fluctations of PD patients by reducing the L-Dopa peaks in the blood
and shall enable a considerable reduction of L-Dopa intake at the same time. It
is not yet sure where this drug will be available first (USA or Sweden) and what
will be the trademark. Does anybody know about this drug?

We are planning to create a "Net Link" between PD patients in Germany (in German
language), to share information on PD events in Germany, articles, addresses,
recommendable clinics etc. . Some people here are working on it and looking for
advice. What is the best way for such an undertaking? Is a homepage in the Web
the best way, perhaps in combination with an IRC chat channel in the UNDERNET?
Does a similar Net already exist in other countries, where PD patients can
retrieve information in their language? Any comment on it would be highly
appreciated.
Warm regards
Dietmar Wessel (41/6)