We haven't contributed or asked anything for a while so will reintroduce
ourselves.

I am Bobbie,  CG for Bill (71/13).  Bill has periodic days (sometimes in
a row) of nasty dyskinesia, and very rare episodes of "freezing".  Other-
wise he is doing amazingly well.  He exercises several times a week,
rides around with me on errands, we visit the children and go out to eat
fairly often.  He has a four-wheeled walker with brakes and seat, and
unless he is having one of his rare freezes he moves about our home at
will.  We spent the month of July in Dolores, CO fishing (really drowning
worms), and he spent the 2 1/2 days as passenger in the car quite com-
fortably.  We live on a golf course and he will either hit balls at the range
or play anywhere from l to 6 holes of golf several times a week.  He has
just recently developed an occasional minor tremor in his left hand.  Given
any stress at all, his feet "dance" and this has sometimes been called
tremor by medical people (???).  But as a result, he quit driving about two
years ago because he didn't know where his feet were unless he could see
them.  A few months ago we had hand controls put on the car and are
spending some funny and harrowing times with him doing figure 8's in empty
parking lots to get used to driving with his hands.

Finally to the purple shins!!!  The first medication Bill took was
amantadine,
for about 2 years.  During that time his legs, from the ankle to half-way to
his knees, became "mottled" (red and purple spotted).  When he quit aman-
tadine and began Sinemet 25/100 the discoloration eventually faded from
his left leg but always remained barely visible on his right leg.  About 2
years ago the skin on the right leg, in the same area that was previously
"mottled", began to dry out and sometimes crack and weep.  A year or so
later a spot about 3 inches in diameter developed on the left leg above the
ankle.  When it wasn't very bad the Dr just shrugged and said he didn't know
what was going on.  Now it is very raw and uncomfortable.  When the Dr.
was asked again about a month ago he said it appeared to be "veinous" (??).
Another patient was ready for the Dr so we didn't get to pursue it any
further.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with legs.  Dr didn't feel it was
exzema (which is what it looks like to me).  The areas now are a purplish
red.

Bill also has COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and has been
on oxygen since a minor bout of pneumonia in May.  The lung Drs don't
think the legs have anything to do with their specialty and have had him
throughly checked by a cardiologist who doesn't accept "blame" for them
either.  Bill's med schedule is...

 7:am     Sinemet  25/100 - 1
              Sinemet 10/100 - 1
              Permax    1 mg
10:am     Sinemet  10/100 - 1 1/2
  1:pm     Sinemet  10/100 - 1 1/2
              Permax     1 mg
  4:pm     Sinemet  10/100 - 1 1/2
  7:pm     Sinemet  10/100 - 1 1/2
              Permax     1 mg
10:pm     Sinemet  10/100 - 1 1/2

Total 110/950 Sinemet and 3 mg Permax...in case you think the meds are
involved.

Sorry for length but wanted any pertinent information to be given.  Thanks
for any
comments or suggestions.

Don't we all miss the wisdom and caring of Alan?

Bill & Bobbie Cotter     [log in to unmask]         Reno, NV